Saturday, November 22, 2008

What a Shame!

Well, not only has it been over a year since I posted anything to my blog, I have even been home in the states for over 6 months. My last post was August of 2007 and we are now approaching Thanksgiving week of 2008. That's pathetic~~~

Well, in order to pick up where I left off, I guess I owe you information on my remaining 8 months in Mexico.

I never returned to teaching English in a structured manner other than to teach a few interested children some key phrases and conversational tricks so that they could converse with English speaking visitors, and especially with a few of the workers who worked in the kitchen and dealt with many visitors as they prepared food for as many as 400 people at their peak!

I was in Mexico last week briefly and had the chance to visit with two of the adult children of Estado 29. They both shared with me that they had a chance to be tested for their proficiency in English. My former roomate, Cindy, was pleased to tell me that she tested well and that she has been conversing with visitors every chance she can get. By the way, today is Cindy's birthday. She is 21 and came to Estado when she was 4 months old. I hope that all the children will have the chance to love Jesus the way Cindy does, and grow up to be such a fine person.

August and September 2007 were full of the hustle and bustle of getting last minute details together for school enrollment, uniform, clothing and shoe purchases and making sure every child was taken care of. Those were not my responsibilities, but I was always around the buzz.

In August 2007 Adolfo, Cindy, and Viviana began University. They were three of the first children from Estado 29 to complete high school while living at Estado in 40 years and were the first three enrolled in University! Wow!

It was very interesting sharing a room with Cindy while she had her first University experiences. It was very nostalgic for me and I was able to encourage her when she would be overwhelmed and exhausted and offer input on how to appropriate time and continue to have a life. There is always a balance to be had, No?

Adolfo, Cindy, and Viviana are now half way through their second semester in their second year of University. Thank you to all you generous supporters!!! Adolfo is majoring in Engineering, Cindy in Education, and Viviana in Interior Design. All three are well suited for their pursuits.

I ran into, literally, Sofia at the Harbor last week and she had just come from the University where she will begin attending in January. She will be studying Law.

After school began believe it or not the preparations of "the list" began. It was my goal last year to create a master list that could be used throughout the year for churches and groups visiting containing the children's names, date of birth and other information especially helpful at Christmas. Most visits from October through December were preparatory for the big Christmas Celebration with picture taking and list tweaking, not to mention the Chess tournaments and many activities that went on while visiting groups from the states came and loved on our kids.

Talk about an experience! Almost every weekend in December anywhere from 1-5 groups came to celebrate Christmas with our kids. Many came baring gifts. I had never seen such generosity!

In December just before I left to go see my family for Christmas, I spoke with Debora about going back to just being there to serve and come alongside, as well as, back to the basics of being a pal to the kids. For some reason, I guess the leader in me, I kept being put in positions of leadership with the children and my relationships began to suffer. God did a work and quite honestly an overhall in me through many experiences last year, much of which came through taking a good look at who I WAS.

For the remaining months, I just focused on the kids and had some great memories with them. I was glad to spend the remaining months relating to the kids, hanging out in their bunks, on their floors and just chilling with them. Yes, one day I even peed my pants. I had never done so in my ENTIRE LIFE! All of a sudden I was surrounded by about seven of the "Chiquitas" as we called the youngest girls dorm and they began to tickle me. Well, all I have to say is that I had to be very creative in stopping the tickling, descretely make my way half way across the property and up to my room where I was sure I had pee all over me. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the girls sure had a whirl with it!

In my remaining months, I continued to seek to strengthen ties with supporting groups and initiate contact with new groups as my goal in coming to Estado was to understand their daily needs and then communicate them to churches and organizations in the states. Unfortunately, our economy made some harsh turns and it appears that support at Estado is limited at this time.

I had some great memories and I have some not so great memories, but all in all it was a year that I will never forget. I have learned even many months later through good decisions, bad decisions and down right wrong decisions, that God's love for me remains and that He has a purpose and a way in our lives.

I am thinking of writing a pamphlet called, "So you think you are ready to go on the Mission field". It sounds a bit tongue and cheek, but I learned many things out of all the experiences from last year, and one of them was that I needed to have a different type of support system, level of accountability and overall covering than I thought I had when I left for Mexico. Our support systems in life often come from unexpected people and sources.

I'm so thankful for the church I came out of, Living Hope, for allowing me the exposure to such a great ministry and for all the growth experiences I was afforded in the years prior to my moving to Estado. My time in Southern California and in the San Clemente area in particular were training grounds and a launching point for a life calling to missions and multi-cultural ministry.

Thank you to all that supported me and carried me through my time in Mexico. It was great to meet new friends and build existing friendships while I was away. Your emails, cards, phone calls, and financial support meant so much to me.

What am I up to now...
Hanging out with the family and thoroughly enjoying my niece and nephew.
I am exploring certification programs to become a medical interpreter with the hopes of going on trips to Spanish speaking countries and helping with medical brigades, and having options to go into local hospitals and interpret.
I am also preparing to go back to Bible College, almost 10 years after beginning at LIFE, to complete my degree and minor in multi-cultural ministries.

I leave you with some words that I spoke to Living Hope shortly before leaving for Mexico. The truth in these three principles still remains and rings true even more in my life after last years many experiences.

Be Obedient! - The ALTERNATIVE has CONSEQUENCES with an oh so painful PRICE
Be Faithful! - We are called to FAITHFULNESS
Trust in God! - Don't ever lean on your own understanding, but in ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

We have been called to go into all the nations and preach the gospel! Have you accepted the Great Commission and what that means for YOUR life?

Fondly,
Nicole

No comments: